Summer is over, and another school year is fast approaching.
If you still haven’t made up your mind on the university where you’ll spend four years of college, here are the top universities in the Philippines and everything you need to know about their college admissions:
1. University of the Philippines
Established in 1908, the University of the Philippines (UP) is known as one of the most prestigious institutions for higher education. They have 8 universities and one autonomous college all over the archipelago, including UP Diliman (main campus), UP Manila, UP Los Baños, UP Baguio, UP Visayas, UP Cebu, UP Mindanao, UP Diliman Extension Program in Pampanga, and UP Open University.
APPLICATION FOR ADMISSIONS FOR AY 2021-2022
I. MINIMUM APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Senior high school student expecting to graduate before SY 2021-2022 from a DepEd-accredited high school or an accredited secondary school abroad; OR
- Graduate of a DepEd-accredited high school or accredited secondary school abroad; AND
- Must have final grades for Grade 8, 9, 10, and first semester of Grade 11;
- Must not have taken any college subject/s; AND
- Must not have taken the UP College Admission Test before.
II. HOW TO APPLY
STEP 1. Fill out the application form. The online application will be open by January 7, 2021. The manual application will only be available in selected regional areas. Contact +639189049195 or email@example.com).
STEP 2. The Online portal shall automatically forward a request to your high school principal/school head to fill out Form 2 (Secondary School Record).
- Only a duly authorized school official may fill out this form with your high school records.
- Your accomplished Form 2 shall be forwarded to you for your own record-keeping. You should raise to your high school any issues in your grades to ensure the veracity of records to be used in your application.
STEP 3. For non-Filipino applicants only: Pay the Application fee.
The non-refundable Application Fee is:
- P450 for resident foreign applicants studying in the Philippines
- US$50 for non-resident foreign applicants
STEP 4. Check if the completed Forms 1 and 2 and all other required documents are uploaded in the Online Portal.
- You will be notified by email regarding the status of your application. You may also monitor the status of your application by logging on to your UP College Admissions Online Account
III. APPLICATION RESULTS
Check the UP website for announcements on the application results. You will need the same email account that you used for the application to view your application results. If you qualify for admission to UP, register according to the instructions provided by the college or unit to which you have been accepted.Visit UP Admission Here!
2. Ateneo de Manila University
From one prestige university to another, Ateneo de Manila University (AdMU) is among the popular universities in the country. Ateneo was established by Spanish Jesuits in 1859 as a public primary school in Intramuros.
To date, Ateneo de Manila University is divided into 3 schools: the Loyola Schools in Loyola Heights Campus, the Professional Schools in Rockwell, and the Salcedo Campuses in Makati.
For the tertiary level, the Loyola Schools offer undergraduate and graduate degree programs composed of the School of Humanities, the John Gokongwei School of Management, the School of Science and Engineering, and the School of Social Sciences.
APPLICATION FOR ADMISSIONS FOR AY 2021-2022
For the incoming first-year batch for School Year 2021-22, all applications will be submitted online.
All application pathways will start at the Ateneo College Application Hub, apply.ateneo.edu/college.
Before starting your application, review your degree program and scholarship options carefully. Prepare all the required supporting documents beforehand.
Application Form and Documentary Requirements
There are three application pathways:
Route 1: For applicants from select Metro Manila schools, via the Edukasyon.ph portal (list of schools can be viewed at the Application Hub)
Route 2: For applicants from the rest of the Philippines, via the Ateneo College Application Hub
Route 3: For applicants from outside the Philippines, via the Ateneo Global portal (global.ateneo.edu)
Fill out the appropriate application form and upload your supporting documents. Each application route/portal contains more detailed information on the application process.
Required Supporting Documents
- Payment slip / deposit slip as proof of payment of application fee (see “Application Fee Payment” below)
- Personal essay
- High School Record Form and Principal’s Recommendation Form
- Guidance Counselor / Class Adviser’s Recommendation Form
- Teacher’s Recommendation Form
- Scholarship/Financial Aid Questionnaire, if applicable
- Additional documentation, if applicable (ex. IB grades, SAT results, or NCAE results; scholarship application supporting documents)
3. De La Salle University
De La Salle University (DLSU) is a private Catholic coeducational institution founded by the Brothers of Christian Schools in 1911. Located in Manila, DLSU is home to local and international students who seek quality education in various departments.
DLSU has eight colleges and schools for Education, Computer Studies, Law, Liberal Arts, Science, Engineering, Business, and Economics. They also have other campuses located in Makati, BGC, and Laguna, while there are 16 La Salle schools all over the country.
Online Admission Facility General Guidelines:
- Freshman applicants for AY 2021-2022 will not be required to take the DLSU College Admission Test (DCAT). Admission to the program will be based on applicant’s high school academic records and other criteria such as recommendations provided by Subject Teachers/Guidance Counselors/High School Principals, class rank and on all other information indicated on the application form.
- Applicants who wish to submit international credentials such as SAT, IB Diploma, AP, etc. may wish to do so for both admissions to the program and for crediting purposes. The complete information on admission using international credentials is accessible here.
- Applicants who are from DLSU Senior High School (Manila and Laguna campuses), DLS-Zobel High School and La Salle Greenhills will be evaluated based on their DSHAPE prequalification results. If an applicant is not prequalified for any program based on his/her DSHAPE scores, admission to the program will be based on school academic records and other criteria mentioned above.
An applicant must be any of the following:
1. A Grade 12 student expected to graduate at the end of Academic Year 2020-2021;
2. A Grade 12 student who graduated from a school based abroad prior to AY 2020-2021 and who has not taken any college course;
3. Passer of the Philippine Educational Placement Test (PEPT), Alternative Learning System (ALS or Non-Formal Education Accreditation and Equivalency (NFEA&E) Program following DepEd regulations and therefore certified eligible for admission to college/tertiary level;
4. Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) result holder, AP result holder, IB Diploma/IB Certificate holder or A Level certificate holder who has met the DLSU criteria. All results and certificates will be subject to evaluation.
Submissions of applications: 23 November 2020 – 15 February 2021
Exam result: 3rd week of April 2021Visit DLSU Admission Here!
4. University of Santo Tomas
The University of Santo Tomas in España, Manila is a Dominican learning institute founded in 1611 under its patron St. Thomas Aquinas. It is considered as the largest Catholic university in the world and the oldest university in Asia with more than 400 years of existence.
They offer a comprehensive 69 undergraduate programs and 39 graduate-level programs from various disciplines such as Business, Health, Humanities, Arts, Sports, Sacred Sciences, and Science and Mathematics.
For the Academic Year 2021-2022, the University of Santo Tomas Entrance Test (USTET) will not be administered in consideration of the quarantine restrictions that are currently in effect in the country.
Instead, admission to UST for the AY 2021-2022 shall be through the University of Santo Tomas Admission Rating (USTAR). The USTAR is a score that will be computed from a number of parameters derived largely from the academic performance and record of the applicant.
1. Click Register and select the program you are applying for.
2. Fill out the Pre-registration form to get your Reference Number, Application and Conforme Form, and Application Payment Slip.
3. Log back in to your application portal and encode your application data.
4. Prepare the needed documents for uploading:
- Signed Application and Conforme
- PSA/NSO Birth Certificate or Passport
- Certified True Copy of Form 137 or Form 138
- Student Ranking Certification
- Proof of Payment (or certification for Top 10 applicants from public schools)
5. Pay the application fee. Proceed to any Metrobank or Bank of the Philippine Islands (BPI) branch to pay, over the counter, the non-refundable application fee indicated in the Application Payment Slip.
6. Upload your application documents.
7. Click the “Complete” button in the Documents Uploading Tab.
8. Visit the Activity Log in your USTAR application portal to view the notification after 15 working days from completing your application to download your Application Receipt.
9. Download your Application Receipt. Your Applicant Number is found here. You become an official applicant once you have an Application Receipt with an Applicant Number.Visit UST Admission Here!
5. Polytechnic University of the Philippines
The Polytechnic University of the Philippines Open University (PUP OU) otherwise known as the “Pamantasang Bayan”, which formally commenced in 1990, is a fresh and innovative system of delivering higher educational services in a manner that differs from the formal, highly structured, and classroom-oriented traditional approach.
- PUP College Entrance Test for Institute of Technology
- Confirmation Documents
- High School Card (Form 138)
- Certification of good moral character duly signed by the high school principal/guidance counselor of the school last attended.
- NSO authentication copy of birth certificate/Live birth certificate
- Medical Clearance from PUP Medical clinic
- If graduated in previous school year/s, certification from the High School Principal and/or Registrar that you have never been enrolled in any college or university and that the copy of form 137A has not been sent to another school/college/university
- If Philippine Educational Placement Test (PEPT) qualifier, duly authenticated/verified copy of the Certification issued by the Department of Education (CMO no. 15, s. 2003) If ALS A & E Test qualifier, Certificate of test result and Completion Certificate for secondary level
- Have passed the interview conducted by the Dean or by a committee created for such purpose.