Are you planning to go to college soon yet you’re having trouble with your college-level-English? It might be time to improve your academic English skills by browsing these 7 free English online courses to prepare you for college.
1. How to Write an Essay
College Writing 2.1x is an introduction to academic writing for English Language Learners, focusing on essay development, grammatical correctness, and self-editing. The five-week course includes a review of basic grammar terminology and understanding; writing effective sentences and paragraphs; introductions and conclusions; strategies for writing longer texts; and thesis statements. The course materials will be offered via readings and videos. An optional course workbook, in ebook form, may be used for additional writing work. Students will participate in online discussions as well as peer review. Students will complete an essay for this part of the course.
What You’ll Learn
- Basic grammar terminology and understanding
- How to write effective sentences and paragraphs
- How to tackle writing introductions and conclusions
- Strategies for writing longer texts and thesis statements
Length: 5 Weeks
Level: IntroductoryVisit How to Write an Essay Course Here!
2. English Grammar and Style
With the rise of social media and the Internet, many people are writing more today for different mediums than ever before. We’ll present materials that cover grammatical principles, word usage, writing style, sentence and paragraph structure, and punctuation. We’ll introduce you to some marvelous resources that we have annotated for your guidance. We’ll show you video clips of interviews conducted with distinguished grammarians, challenge you with quizzes and writing activities that will give you strategies to help you to build skills that will enhance the quality of your writing, and invite you to participate in discussions and assess the work of your peers.
What You’ll Learn
- How to reliably identify the roles and relationships of words in a sentence
- Mastery of grammatical concepts and syntactical strategies
- How to apply this knowledge to produce coherent, economical, and compelling writing
- Skills in critiquing and editing your own and others’ writing
Length: 8 Weeks
Level: IntroductoryVisit English Grammar and Style Course Here!
3. Conversational English Skills
Are you finding it difficult to start the conversation, or find the right words when communicating in English? Do you know how to start and end conversations in a polite way? Do you want to learn more about American, British, Canadian, Australian, South Korean, Colombian, and Chinese cultures? If so, you’ve come to the right course!
What You’ll Learn
- Develop conversational English skills
- Listen to dialogues and group discussions to better understand spoken English and cultural norms
- Learn key words and expressions
- Engage in activities to help you better understand the meaning of conversations
- Learn to initiate your own conversations in English on a variety of topics
Length: 10 Weeks
Level: IntroductoryVisit Conversational English Skills Course Here!
4. English Composition I
You will gain a foundation for college-level writing valuable for nearly any field. Students will learn how to read carefully, write effective arguments, understand the writing process, engage with others’ ideas, cite accurately, and craft powerful prose.
Course Learning Objectives
- Summarize, analyze, question, and evaluate written and visual texts
- Argue and support a position
- Recognize audience and disciplinary expectations
- Identify and use the stages of the writing process
- Identify characteristics of effective prose
- Apply proper citation practices
- Discuss applying your writing knowledge to other writing occasions
Level: BeginnerVisit English Composition I Course Here!
5. Introduction to English Grammar – Tenses and Sentence Structure
This free online English Grammar course introduces you to tenses and sentence structure. With 1.5 billion speakers, English is the third most spoken language in the world. It is also considered a language of business, of travel, and of opportunity. In this course, you will learn the basics of English grammar, beginning with English tenses and sentence structure. With regular practice, your world will soon get a lot bigger.
Level: Academic – Secondary – Level 1Visit Introduction to English Grammar – Tenses and Sentence Structure Course Here!
6. A Beginner’s Guide to Writing in English for University Study
Academic writing can be very different from other types of written English. This course has been developed to help you learn the basics of academic writing and develop your English language skills.
You’ll develop some proficiency in key areas of ‘academic’ grammar, learn about the stages in essay writing, and produce an essay of your own. You’ll also explore how to organise an essay, write in an academic style, and use tools to evaluate your own writing and other learners’ writing, so that by the end of the course you’re able to write a good, basic academic essay.
Length: 5 WeeksVisit A Beginner’s Guide to Writing in English for University Study Course Here!
7. Social English Language Skills – Revised
This free online Social English Language Skills course is for anyone who wants to meet new people and make friends. English is one of the most spoken languages all over the world and by guiding you through the basics of social language skills, you will be able to discuss fun topics and open up your social life. It will also help you see things from a different perspective and get a deeper understanding of another culture.
Level: Academic – Secondary – Level 1Visit Social English Language Skills – Revised Course Here!